Terminating a residential lease in the event of a sexual assault

If you have been sexually assaulted by your landlord, spouse, or a person with whom you have signed a residential lease and you fear for your safety, know that you may request that your lease be resiliated.

​To terminate a lease, the tenant should send the lessor the two following documents:

  • A notice of resiliation of lease because of spousal violence or sexual assault;
  • An attestation from a public officer indicating that it is necessary to terminate the lease to ensure the tenant’s safety or that of a child who lives with the tenant.

The CALACS can help you to make this request.

For more information on resiliating your lease, consult the ​
 Ministère de la justice du Québec >

Additional means of recourse are available to survivors of sexual assault.

Notably, you may pursue the assailant in civil court, but you would be responsible for all costs related to the process.

If you were assaulted by a professional that belongs to a regulatory body (such as a doctor, a psychologist or a police officer, etc.) you may file a complaint of seek recourse from their professional order, depending on their profession.

If you are unsure about how to proceed, you may contact the West Island CALACS, who can help you to identify a course of recourse suited to your particular situation. Please note that we do not provide legal advice or offer access to lawyers.  

For information on legal clinics, please click here to consult theWest Island Community Resource Centre website.

The legal process can be complex and psychologically demanding. That CALACS can support you throughout the process by providing you with information on various procedures and by responding to your questions. We can also accompany you to the police station or to court.

To learn more about the legal process, please consult the following website: Table de concertation sur les agressions à caractère sexuel de Montréal >

IVAC, or “Indemnisation des victimes d'actes criminels,” is an organisation that works with CSST and is responsible for providing indemnities to victims of criminal acts in Quebec. If you were a victim of sexual assault, you can submit a request for compensation; however, your request must meet specific criteria.

For example, certain time limitations apply. "It should be noted that the Act applies strictly to crimes committed since 1972." 

If you are interested in applying for compensation, we recommend that you contact us as soon as possible. The CALACS can help you to better understand the requirements and to fill out the request.

Visit the IVAC website here >

Filing a complaint

Other forms of recourse

Requesting compensation from IVAC

​​Centre d'aide et de lutte contre

les agressions à caractère sexuel